Translating Resonate website

Genial! No te preocupes, por el momento no hay prisa. Y además, toda contribución es bienvenida!

La traducción no está finalizada del todo. Hay muchas partes que tienen varias opciones, ya que no me decidía por ninguna. Las he indicado así (opción1 / opción2 / …). Estaría bien poder aclarar esas partes, ya sea eligiendo una opción de las disponibles, o añadiendo otra diferente. Como escribí antes, no tenemos ahora mismo un sistema para controlar versiones, así que creo que deberíamos tratar de indicar los cambios que hagamos de alguna manera siempre que sea posible.

Espero que estés bien. La verdad es que con esta situación hay que estar preparado para cambios continuos en nuestro día a día. Aquí están constantemente quitando y poniendo restricciones por barrios y comunidades, así que es un poco confuso.

3 Likes

Okis! Si aquí igual, ya veremos como va :roll_eyes:

OK so just so you know I (finally !) just finished translating all of the Resonate spreadsheet to French. And if anyone wants to, feel free to check for mistakes / errors / typos but other than the occasional ones, it should all be there now. I’m sorry it took me so long I had quite a busy and complicated pair of months since I started working on it, but it’s there at last !

2 Likes

That’s great @LLK!! Don’t worry, the Spanish translation is not finished yet :sweat_smile: . I’ll try to finish it this weekend.

Having both translations reviewed by more French and Spanish members would be ideal. Maybe @Timothee , @kritzkom , @Iamupinthecloud or @auggod can help with the French review?

2 Likes

I will check the French translation today, so much is already done :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think I finished everything ? There are a few sentences that were marked in red in the original english versions so I’m not too sure about those, and I think there are a few misleading typos in the original version, but other than that when I checked 2 days ago there wasn’t anything left to write.

Please don’t hesitate to tell me or leave a comment if you see some errors !

Spanish translation is also finished! Any Spanish speaking members are welcomed to suggest changes. @anamangot @TheAstorian

@Nick_M @Timothee I think both texts might be ready for the next step, which I think could be a review of crucial parts with more members of the community in order to ensure that translations are faithful. For example, I am very unconfortable with my translation of “Supporter Shares” into Spanish.

1 Like

I checked all the French text, corrected some minors typos or mistakes, and marked in red some (rare) parts which doesn’t sound correct (although it is understandable), but I didn’t see how to re-write it.

3 Likes

We probably bugged on the same parts which got me a bit confused as to what the original meaning of the english version was. Thanks a lot for checking the texts ! Sometimes I also just wanted to stay relatively true to the original english version even though I think it gives kind of an awkward tone to the french one, but since this is not my personnal project I didn’t want to be too liberal about how I interpret the texts.

1 Like

@LLK @kritzkom For me, translating this content was also challenging, and I’m not 100% satisfied with the Spanish translation I provided. As I suggested in my previous comment, I think that in order to be able to provide better translations for some tricky parts of the original copy, we could review those parts with members who know the original text better and have the capacity to approve both translations.

1 Like

Absolutely, some ideas and wordings don’t translate well across languages, and some words can push different meanings. For example, I textbook translated the word race, expecting some correction later on because nobody uses “race” in France to describe people racialized by systemic opression it’s considered an offense and a false concept and is only employed by racists. I was a bit too tired to translate it differently (I thought about using “racialized” as “racisé” its french counterpart is a widely used word right now by the various black, arabic and asian french left organizations, but then I knew it would carry a very specific meaning that maybe wasn’t intended by the original text), but then I saw @kritzkom (I assume) translated it to “origins”, which is a much better word in a way and will be much more acceptable to a french reader, but it also doesn’t mean the same thing at all and you need to mentally fill in the blank to find the initial concept back so there’s a possible discussion there.

All those things are complex topics, and especially since the whole endeavour is to listen and be thoughtful and mindful about eachother, I think it would be great to have a deeper conversation about terminology and translation if we can at some point.

2 Likes

I could help out with the dutch (NL) part of the translation.

3 Likes

Yeah I know of it it could help. Lot’s of trial and error, would be still be there though.

Where do I work on the dutch part.

Hi @gintoki ! I shared the link to the spreadsheet in this post Translating Resonate website - #13 by Timothee. I just added an “nl” column for you.

Thanks for you help :pray:

An update:

There is a new effort to rewrite much of the text on the website, being led by @melis_tailored. It would be tragic if any of this translation work were made irrelevant due to these (necessary) rewrites, so I want y’all to be aware of this.

The existing website has been due for an editorial overhaul for some time, so it is great news that work is happening in this area. I encourage @Timothee & @melis_tailored to sync up about if it makes sense to continue translation efforts while the new copy is being written.

2 Likes

I personally don’t mind if things get rewritten, I’ll just retranslate, but do keep us posted it would be great if both the new translation and rewrite could happen side by side.

Hello,
I would strongly advise waiting to translate any of the resonate site.
It will be completely re-written in the next fortnight, most of the existing site is to be archived and is redundant anyway, as most of what is written is completely out of date.
Any translation at this point is just a waste of time.
I need to finish the copy, then it has to be approved by the board and story team, then we can move to translating.
Hope that’s OK to delay a couple of weeks - thank you for your efforts with this.
Melissa

1 Like

Oh no what I meant previously was that I’ve already translated everything a few months ago so the waste of time already happened, but I don’t mind. We’ll translate it again ! It’s a good thing it gets rewritten so I’ll just wait for the new version.

1 Like

OK! Hopefully we will be able to reuse some.

2 Likes