The Politics of Platform Co-ops

… an interesting read, even though the only passing reference to us contains a bit of a misundertanding…

…good on recommendations for government policy though, and on potential for global membership.

Just attended a presentation of this paper by Jonas - really good. It’s less important for platform coops to get support from government, but more about needing to better understand their own social/economic context and get more ‘embedded’ … being local, as well as global really counts.

5 Likes

:eyes: @charlie_B @sganesh @Fabsozlo

4 Likes

Also this…

1 Like

And this article with a good list of resources…

2 Likes

I just wanted to share what I’ve been reading about disco.coop, seems like a very interesting project.

They had a very interesting presentation on the moneylab berlin stream last weekend.

Lots of other interesting presentations on this stream.

4 Likes

Thanks @datafruits I am sorry I missed it! Lots of great work by Stacco and friends… Speaking personally it seems there is big potential for the coop to both adopt a lot of this… for example the governance framework and to contribute. … Community Credentials perhaps. Lots of folks are looking at federated, replicable, ‘franchised’ coop models… I was working on a grant application for one of them last weekend. Ela is also involved in that!

3 Likes

Chomsky’s advice for Platform Coops

Great session with Noam Chomsky. Legendary clarity and breadth of reference on the way forward. Quite moving: “It’s over to you”.

1 Like

hi, i am testing, it seems i can only reply, not post original entries maybe

3 Likes

for politics, I found #dalitfeministtheory the strongest and clearest concept! center the weakerst person in the link, means also don’t give platform to white rich men <3

3 Likes

@agf Perhaps this service won’t let you open a new topic until you have posted? (Seems odd, but maybe?) In any case: nice to have you. Welcome!

1 Like

Hi, @agf! I doublechecked your settings and you should be able to create new Topics now.

This forum software’s default settings block brand new users from creating new Topics until they’ve spent a small amount of time browsing and finding their way around. The threshold is that they have to:

• Enter at least 5 topics
  • Read at least 30 posts
  • Spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts
3 Likes

Maybe this could be communicated explicitly within the welcome, so that eager people know exactly what to do to start contributing at the desired level?

2 Likes

Video of Chomsky’s talk may be found here starting at about 15:30: https://archive.org/details/platform-co-ops-now-with-noam-chomsky

Very good. Chomsky outlines numerous currents of european-american political and economic philosophy that have animated (and opposed) consolidations of democratic worker power from the 17th Century to the present. 1 hour.

1 Like