In this article Rheingold speaks from experience with the Whole Earth 'Lectronic Link (WELL), a pioneering online community. Check out the links at the bottom.
Lots of good ideas and guidance in this book by Charles Vogl, recommended by our TRUST coaches:
‘The Art of Community’
A bit philosophical/preachy perhaps… but worth a read for context… especially for purpose/values/strategy thinking…
- Boundary: The line between members and outsiders.
- Initiation: The activities that mark a new member.
- Rituals: The things we do that have meaning.
- Temple: A place set aside to find our community.
- Stories: What we share that allows others and ourselves to know our values.
- Symbols: The things that represent ideas that are important to us.
- Inner Rings: A path to growth as we participate.
I have a copy if you need more content…