Minimal mobile apps for Android and iOS

The app is in a pretty good place at this point I think. There are one or two fixes for iOS that had to be fixed on the website that will hopefully be reviewed and added to the live site soon, which I got done in the past few days.

It would be great if Android users could test the below item :arrow_heading_down: (I don’t have an Android device, so I can’t help test that side currently, unfortunately). Once we know that’s working, I can potentially implement swipe left/right to go forward on back for Android users (which works really nicely currently in iOS).

Also, currently our screenshots in the Google Play Store are all iOS and should be Android. If Android users want to take some screenshots (maybe similar to those that are there) on their Android phones and/or tablet devices that would be wonderful, and I can swap those out.

Overall, the app is feeling a lot more stable than the earlier versions. I’m not sure if it would be wiser to turn it on in the app stores after we make the transition off WordPress so it’s the same login across player and forums, or if that matters, since the vast majority of folks will be using it as a music player and not to browse this forum. I’m more than happy to flip the switch to on in the stores if we think it would be a good time to do it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@piper

Back button now works as expected!

I’ll send you a couple of screenshots I just took via private message.

2 Likes

I personally vote “yes” on flipping the switch. Would definitely appreciate input from folks on that before the end of this week.

I don’t think most people are going to be accessing the forum via this app, but I definitely think that’s something we should consider in a deeper and more comprehensive way (from a UI/UX design standpoint) whenever the future native version of this ends up being made. :100:

3 Likes

That’s great to hear, @zetto.plus. I’m a “yes” vote as well. I think it’s in a pretty good spot and it would make use of the platform become more widespread if we made this publicly available (and in turn potentially even give Resonate more attention from volunteer devs which would help push the tech forward)!

@CPacaud, thank you for sending the Android screenshots over, and for all of your assistance in testing the Android side! That’s great news that the back button is working as expected for Android.

2 Likes

@piper @zetto.plus
as an avid tester of the iOS version, I think it would be beneficial to have an scheduled “testing party” in parallel with flipping the switch

• create account
  • listen to track
  • favorite track
  • create playlist

It would be great to use the mailing list of people who want to volunteer to ask them to test.

2 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: How do I set up a label account?

Do we have a day and time in mind for this testing party idea?

1 Like

@zetto.plus @boopboop Here is a Doodle calendar scheduling poll I created with times that work for me. I guess I technically don’t need to be there, so if there’s a time on there not listed that works for a lot of other people I can add that to the poll options as well. If everyone votes on a time, we can hopefully send an email out to our Volunteer Email List and get a few more folks involved through there.

People can either join the conference call and report their findings, or just test privately at home, and post in this thread their results.

2 Likes

Got it, @piper. I selected 5 PM to 10 PM tomorrow, 5 PM to 6 PM Friday, and 10 AM to 6 PM Saturday. Tomorrow would be ideal for me, but I understand if folks want/need more rallying time with volunteers.

1 Like

Probably also define if this is something people do privately or on a video call?

1 Like

Is anyone actively coordinating this? Or is it just you, @boopboop? Asking because @piper mentioned not needing to be there, and I’m not sure who your last response is directed towards. I’m not a dev and wouldn’t be able to change anything; I figured we’d want devs and testers on, and perhaps @brndnkng. Just want to know where everyone is at?

1 Like

@zetto.plus Sorry for the lack of clarity, I’m definitely happy and aiming to be there, I only added that part because the times I threw out are probably a bit timezone-centric to folks in the Americas. It also seems that @boopboop was not necessarily suggesting an online call and just encouraging everyone to merely try to test those bullet points and report their results back here in this thread. I’m certainly happy to still run a call on Jitsi Meet for folks who will be around to test at a certain time, but unfortunately only @zetto.plus and I are the only ones who seem to have voted on the poll so far.

As far as I’m concerned, if we have people in the call and/or posting here that they tried every bullet point listed by @boopboop and no one runs into any hiccups, we should be good to go!

The goal here would be to get random people to use the app, not devs. Probably even better if they’re not devs.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m honestly for async testing and report-backs before giving it the green light, if you all are cool with that?

1 Like

Yeah, I think we should go with this route of async testing. I will run through these later this evening and post my results.

Consolidating all relevant information below for ease of use:

Test Build Links
Test on :robot: Android
Test on :apple: iOS

Testing Instructions

• create account
  • listen to track
  • favorite track
  • create playlist

Okay, so the issues I’m having are issues I’ve seen brought up before:

1. Formatting is messed up on this page after sign-up.

1. It’s not letting me log in. I’m getting the message below.

I’ve even tried resetting password and haven’t even received an email for reset.

I’m unable to enable notifications (hitting the “Enable” button does nothing), which I’d imagine is related to the app not being live yet, and I have allowed cookies. Just FYI.

On desktop, it’s saying the password I’m entering is incorrect. So I’m stuck. Not sure what’s going on.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback @zetto.plus. That’s strange, the formatting on the Join page looked okay on the phones I tried it on. Looks like it might need some fixing depending on the user’s screen size.

Yesterday I had a few friends test. I was able to perform all of the test actions with my old account, and create a new account and after waiting about a minute (presumably for the sync between the WordPress user database to occur behind the scenes) I was able to perform all of the test actions successfully. However, I had another friend, who had made an account a while ago and couldn’t get in even after resetting his password. I’ve advised him to reset his password and avoid using special characters, because I know that can break things.

Overall, it seems that folks are still being affected login/signup issues, which should be much alleviated after the transition away from WordPress is complete (no longer have to wait a minute for syncing, probably have more freedom with respect to password special characters, etc.). Maybe we should wait until that’s complete before switching the app to on? I’m also curious to hear how the testing worked for everyone else. Thanks everyone! :slightly_smiling_face:

EDIT: My friend who had experienced login troubles tried again with a new password without special characters and got in successfully.

@zetto.plus, the notifications in the settings only are usable on Desktop at the moment (I think, at least it seems that way on iOS, not sure about Android). And that’s very strange that you haven’t received an email yet for a password reset, I’ve never run into that problem (nor did any of the folks I had testing with my yesterday).

I just made a very quick Android test, here is my feedback:

• create account I did not test that (sorry)
  • when launching the app a first screen shows up and dismisses before I can read full disclaimer… on second launch the same screen seems to shows up and disappear even faster
  • log in / log out: the log in button is hidden by the keyboard once email and password have been entered (Fairphone 3+, don’t know what screen that is exactly)
  • listen to track: worked fine
  • favorite track: worked fine
  • create playlist: worked fine

Lastly I would suppose that after opening the “Learn” or “Profile” menus I could close them by tapping again on the menu but that was not the case. I can only close them by tapping outside. I don’t know if this is intended or not.

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback, @maphr.

Can you let me know if going to https://stream.resonate.coop in your phone’s default browser and performing these steps you get the same result? This will let me know if this is a problem with the website’s player’s code or the app’s code. Thank you!

I may be able to figure out how to make clicking the menu button close the menu, my current guess is it’s a problem with the website’s code. I will do some digging. This issue is a somewhat related problem where I can’t even click the menu on iOS in the app, but it appears to be an issue with the website player as well on my computer so I can test it there.

I don’t see any difference in the behavior except that in the browser I didn’t see the “first screen”. But when I launch the app now I don’t see it anymore . I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it to test and I didn’t see this “first screen” this time so I don’t know what that was.
Log in button is hidden by the keyboard also in the browser, except that in the browser I instinctively scrolled the page while in the app I didn’t try, probably not realizing that it was a scrollable page…

1 Like