RxC Voice

Following up from community call on the first two weeks of July, I suggest looking into RxC Voice as an option for polling the greater Resonate community.

Downsides to RxC Voice is that it might be overcomplicated, but I enjoyed participating in the RxC Voice pilot and didn’t feel like my voice was unheard or that I overpowered the discussion by being too loud.

RxC Voice uses Pol.is, a type of wikipoll, which is how I learned about it initially. I’m a big fan of pol.is and wikipolls in general. Here’s an example report from one I created earlier this year:
https://pol.is/report/r54afrbhfmkzdttptwf3u

RxC Voice:
“Introducing RxC Voice” (short blog post) - Introducing RxC Voice - RadicalxChange
RxC Voice - Take Smarter Action by Making Better Decisions (2 min video demo) - RxC Voice - Take Smarter Action by Making Better Decisions - YouTube
RadicalxChange Voice: An Introduction (91 min livestream) - RxC Voice - Take Smarter Action by Making Better Decisions - YouTube
RadicalxChange Voice: From Election Insights to Action (93 min livestream) - RxC Voice: From Election Insights to Action - YouTube

edit: and here’s the link to the repo GitHub - RadicalxChange/rxc-voice: An app for decentralized democratic governance.
and link to their discord: RxC Community

3 Likes

Something else to bring up, RxC Voice seems like a great (almost ideal) use case for the community credential app.

2 Likes

their onboarding survey:

Thank you for experimenting with RadicalxChange Voice!

This form will help us collect core information and assets to prepare your democratic process and increase its quality. Therefore, we recommend you complete the entire document.

** required

For this experiment, what would be a success for your organization?
Provide a URL to a list with names and email addresses that we can use to send participation invites upon the start of the experiment.**
Would you mind providing the name and email address of a person that can assist us ad-hoc during the experiment, e.g., approving email drafts and turning the outcomes of the deliberations into actionable ballot proposals?**
What name should we use for your organization/community for communications purposes? I.e., this name will appear on the web app, emails for delegates, et cetera.**
Provide the URL of your organization’s primary logo as a .svg asset.
Provide any additional .svg assets or hex codes we can use (inverse color, different orientation, et cetera).
Provide the URL to any style guides we need to be aware of for your logo or branding.
What shall we call the voice credits exchanged and cast throughout the process to delegate and signal preferences? E.g., ‘voice credits’ or something related to your organization.
We will share updates and instructions with delegates via email. Would you please provide any links and blurbs for our consideration in drafting these emails?
Is there anything else we should know to enhance your experience?

Thanks for your trust. We look forward to collaborating with you and your community!

updating based on meeting today, Google’s experience with Liquid Democracy

it’s pretty cool :slight_smile: @LLK

2 Likes

Just read the Google Votes article. Super interesting. Thanks for the link :sunny:

bumping this after our small vote delegation experiment.

There are some obvious cons with liquid democracy, but also obvious benefits.

2 Likes

@boopboop Could you flesh this vision out a little further?

(FWIW, I recommend the co-op prioritize the implementation of a credentialing process upon Membership. I contributed some user stories here.

I envision the MEMBER CREDENTIAL as a key to access voting/polling privileges as well as spaces where other governance labors and deliberations (like this weekend’s Assembly) are being contributed.)

@richjensen Currently on RxC Voice, there’s a “community credential” placeholder in which on signup, users have the option to link their twitter account. If some other participant notices something suspicious with someone else’s twitter account, they can speak up about suspected fraud / cheating.

An alternative using the community credential could be →

• potential participants are emailed an invite to the rxc process
  • some potential participants decide to participate and create accounts with an email (necessary to send the users notification emails about the process), and instead of the twitter / social media step, does the community credential step. This user is now verified as a member of the community.
  • the signed up participants can now decide to invite their friends who might have been left out of the official list for whatever reason, who would pass through the identical process

Could you spell these out?

if liquid voting is being done to solve a time zone issue, then:

• there’s less incentive to come up with a schedule that works for people in the minority and majority time zone.
  • If someone in a minority time zone wants to have their say, they’d have to find someone not in their time zone to agree to be their delegate. Should there be some sort of delegate introduction process (basically, a political campaign) so as to make a more educated decision and ask questions? In the oct 9 meeting, both participants who delegated their votes were present at the meeting and could use that and other meetings to decide who they wanted to delegate to. But for those people who really can’t make meetings, what to do?

Things that would have to be figured out:

• How long is the vote delegated? Is it per meeting? If it’s forever but take-back any time there’s a risk that the person who delegated the vote just stops engaging for unrelated reasons. Now the delegate to has an additional vote until that person comes back, which might be never.

How google dealt with “delegation advertisements”:

To assist in generating delegation relationships, Google Votes supports delegation advertisements. These are messages sent over Google+ where a user says why others should delegate to them. The posts include a link giving the viewer a chance to view the potential delegate’s voting record and a mechanism to add a delegation (Figure 8). In addition to the user feeling rewarded as others delegate, the user’s expertise and popularity is reinforced as delegating users see other users who have delegated. Thus, delegation advertisements can enable group leaders and potential leaders to build and reinforce their reputation
which fosters greater group participation

2 Likes