šŸ‘‹ Introduce Yourself

Co-operators! Introduce yourselves. :star_struck:

3 Likes

Iā€™ll go first. (Sorry in advance for the length.)

Iā€™m Rich. Iā€™ve been serving as the co-op executive since July of 2019. To the extent that role is defined you can read about it in the Resonate Rulebook Section 26.

For most of my time here Iā€™ve been concerned that the co-op simply survive so that it may thrive. Through the good work of volunteers stepping up in recent months I am becoming confident that this co-op has a good chance at not only growing to maturity but becoming something quite beautiful and powerful: an inclusive and dignified digital community organized around the social power of music. To be honest, I think the kind of empathetic collective intelligence that music can manifest is exactly what the world needs right now to make it through the crises it faces. Each new member that contributes their effort to the co-op demonstrates to me that I am not alone in that feeling.

Quick background:

Iā€™m old enough to be able to say that the last 40 years of my life have been organized by music.

1981 - 1991 // Dedicated to ā€˜Independent Musicā€™ ie music communities operating outside of the six major label corporate systems of that time. (Now there are only three major label systems.) Mode: cassette tapes and punk rock.
1991 to 2000 // Those same communities became templates for the ā€˜mainstreamā€™ during the rise of the ā€˜Alternativeā€™ marketing style. I found myself managing the Sub Pop label for 9 years as well as starting a project with my room-mate that became the launch pad for several of the best known ā€˜indieā€™ bands of the time. Mode: web 1.0, ā€˜trust networksā€™ built on 10 years of independent practice.
2000 - 2010 // Literature and poetry projects with friends and comrades which oddly enough produced a moderately successful ā€˜hit-letā€™ in 2009 when the band YACHT reworked a song I had written and released (cassette-only) in 1988. Mode: Used bookstores and All-ages spaces.
2010 - present // I co-founded a Native American-owned music label that released hip-hop, hard rock, and spoken word projects. Mode: Platform co-ops and decolonization.

I live in Seattle USA.
Please let me know how I can help make the time you share here powerful and amazing.

14 Likes

Whoā€™s next? Do I have to call on somebody? :grin:

2 Likes

I willā€¦ @coquetornado @Hakanto @KallieMarie?

3 Likes

Oh goodness. Okā€¦ how to begin? Sorry for my delayed response. I guess I can also copy @richjensen and apologize for the potentially long reply/intro here. So now I am writing this, and you are likely reading this, so here we are, eyes on the same page at different times.

Iā€™m Kallie. I am a recording engineer, music producer (though that means lots of different things to people these days and it tends to make my feathers ruffle.), composer (for media-TV, film, Dance, video games, roller coasters, hamster wheels, apps, whateverā€¦) and author and journalist.

I deeply believe in Resonate. I feel bad for not making more time to entrench myself in the great community here, but I spend lots of time spouting off about Resonate online, and cant wait to release more music here/there. I am reclusive on forums and such because I have some hand/wrist/elbow injuries that flare up if I am on tech too much, so I try to save my hands for musicā€¦ but then I go on Twitter and talk to strangers when I cant sleep, which is how I basically ended up here.

Music is in a tricky place right now, and I am committed to artist advocacy, information, and equipping artists with tools, not just to get seen, because while it is nice, to thrive is better than simple exposure. The conversation around streaming and making sure artists gets paid is a huge part of that. I know because I am either recording artists or am one myself.

My background so far: (I always joke that I am just getting started. They may have to put that on my tomb stone, ā€œbut I was just getting started!ā€)

I was a ballet dancer, attended a performing arts high school, and my first forays into music were spent managing punk bands, playing in garage bands, learning guitar, painting, and doing a lot of printmaking and generally devouring everything that happened musically during the 90s. (And culturally because it was so vital.) Somewhere along the way I ended up in night classes at a community college for ā€œRecording Artsā€, and I ended up doing an AA certificate in that and songwriting and music business. (I just couldnā€™t help myself.) I was still touring as a ballet dancer. I lived in Rome briefly.
Then I moved to England, and got my BA and MA in Music Production, and after that moved to NYC where I have built my career. I have produced all kinds of artists, written music for a variety of choreographers and Film/TV pitches. Blah blah blah blah. I write for Sonic Scoop from time to time.

Then the pandemic hit, I lost my homeā€¦ I am now in LA. I am essentially starting over. I have hopes of returning to NYC or Europe, but I will go anywhere where there is music to be made. Iā€™m gregarious to a fault, which is evident. I love music, people, and technology. Not always in that order.

Lets make shit happen. Life is short, but music is a little bit longer. We put some in space! Change is happening, it is a crazy time but that means that there are opportunities to get rid of old rules and make new paradigms, which are hopefully better.
Who wants to make some noise???
KM

18 Likes

Thatā€™s a great write up KallieMarie. I loveā€¦ā€œbut I was just getting startedā€. Welcome to California and Iā€™m so sorry about your home and having to start over.

Hello Resonate community! Iā€™ll intro myself. Tami Mulcahy, a singer songwriter in Northern California. In music years, Iā€™m an extinct dinosaur. But following up on KallieMarieā€™s intro, my anecdote is simply, Iā€™m not done yet.

This year I released my Human to Human EP and in the last few days, released a new song, Part of the Solution. A friend and multi IMA winner, Monica Pasqual of Blame Sally, did the video. As of two days ago, it is now on youtube. Check it out! Iā€™d love to hear what you think. https://youtu.be/1KUcUtDD4Jk

I wear three hats ā€“ musician, musician advocate and environmentalist. About a year ago, I stumbled on Resonate. The coop is so much more than simply an alternative to other streaming platforms. The ethics are stellar and privacy protection tech is top notch.

The music world needs Resonate. So Iā€™m in. Letā€™s make some noise!

10 Likes

Lovely, Tami! Thanks so much! Posting that link AGAIN :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok @Nick_M Who are you?

1 Like

Nooooā€¦ Called out of stealth mode!

Okies:

Partner of Gill and Dad to the Kids.

Skip on various wooden sailing boats.

Engineer (mechanical) and Economist

Secretly creative draw-er and metal basher ā€¦music lover.

Tech / Biz architect of big old boring government systems, commercial ecosystems now hacking on cool stuff when I can

Lover of platform coops, community building and democracy

Hater of hierarchies and autocracy.

European Irish and Dutch immigrantā€¦ nomadic at heart.

Poem on my whiteboard: The Second Coming by WB Yeats (scary times!)

Listening to now: Hegemony by chalk horse music
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/HGUK)
(local band)ā€¦

See LinkedIn for the boring stuff / articles and smtngood.eu

:grinning:

10 Likes

Hello!
Hope this is a good place to introduce myself.

Iā€™m Tony, mostly working on a community oriented internet radio station and label called datafruits.fm. We feature artists from the US, Japan, Korea, Taiwan and more.
I do backend and frontend development as well as manage the station programming itself.

I am gradually becoming more interested in co-ops, as such Iā€™m looking to help out here with my development skills. Iā€™m also hoping to learn more about co-op structure and governance.

I really love the ground-up, community oriented approach here at resonate. This is exactly the kind of thing that I think should exist for music. I really believe some positive change can come from here if we put in the work.

I also do some drawings and animations, you can see some here:
freedrull.online

Iā€™m from Seattle originally, but Iā€™m currently located in Seoul, South Korea.

14 Likes

WELCOME @datafruits! Thanks for checking in @Nick_M! Whoā€™s next?

1 Like

Hey yā€™all, Iā€™m Hakanto ā€“ pianist and singer-songwriter in english/esperanto in Houston, Texas USA. Iā€™ve been slowly writing an album for a decade, and while it isnā€™t finished, you can find snips of it here and there. I discovered Resonate back in May while doing intensive co-operatives research after losing my job at the start of the pandemic. Since then, Iā€™ve been welcomed into the crew after visiting a Community Call and have been contributing volunteer work near daily.

What I help with at Resonate:

• sorting and writing emails in the members@resonate.is inbox
  • admin stuff here in the Community Forum
  • organizing music submissions for upload volunteers
  • pursuing better welcoming, coordination, communication, transparency, and collaborative processes
  • striving to understand Resonate as an entity, with the goal of helping others understand it and find a space for themselves in it
  • odds and ends, bits and baubles, this and that

Why Iā€™m here:

• I am fed up with conventional work dynamics and have seen how theyā€™ve hurt me and past co-workers. I want to help build a place where folks can feel heard and have real ownership and agency ā€“ including myself.
  • As a musician, I would love to make a bit of actual money from my art, and share camaraderie with artists and listeners around the world. I think Resonateā€™s model is really unique, and weā€™re only just getting started seeing what Resonate can be.
  • I crave collaboration and creativity. I see co-operatives as an antidote to the political malaise of a world where we often can feel irrelevant, alone, and unrealistically responsible for our personal well-being.

Iā€™ve primarily worked foodservice, which developed in me a deep appreciation for work that is very difficult yet starkly undervalued. So now Iā€™m investing in co-ops, as I believe they are an ideal place to practice democracy and care for each other ā€“ and with economic rewards too.

Some things I love: making and teaching espresso, absurd humor, Esperanto, the oxford comma, absurd humor, Dead Cells

Some things I despise: green bean casserole, how much wealth Jeff Bezos controls, food-scented soap

14 Likes

Hello,

My name is KP and Iā€™m a DJ/Producer/Design-Thinker

5 Likes

Music is forever < 3

4 Likes

@gintoki @kpmadman @Hakanto (and @tamimulcahy!) PEACE. Thanks for checking-in. So glad to have you. Howā€™s your experience been so far? Are you finding things that are worthwhile and/or need work?

2 Likes

Hells bells you do a lot. Thank you for what you do for the community!

4 Likes

Hey wouldnt have invested non if I did not think this could catch as and is a good concept.
As for thoughts atm I would like to elaborate on those as the days move along = )

3 Likes

Hello, Iā€™m Sylvia, lyricist, vocalist, and stuff in NYC bands Tremosphere and Bipolar Explorer.
Iā€™m French, I usually divide my time between France and the US, but you knowā€¦
Iā€™m fairly new to being to the other side of music, meaning Iā€™ve been a long time listener, and only a music maker myself for a few years.
I learned about @richjensen and Resonate on Twitter, and am very much into making the world a better and fairer place :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Hello,

My name is Sam Martyn.

I just found out about Resonate this week, and I love everything about it!

After hearing/seeing all of the ā€˜Justice at Spotifyā€™ campaigns, the entrepreneur in me kicked in, and I saw a great opportunity to create a new platform that could meet all of these artistsā€™ demands.

While doing some more research and networking these past few weeks, I stumbled upon Resonate. After reaching out and eventually talking with @richjensen, @Hakanto, and @Nick_M, I really love everything that Resonate is doing, and what it stands for, so I am hoping to help make Resonate a big success!

I have experience in digital marketing, (startup) entrepreneurship, and I also spend time playing guitar, producing music (mainly electronic), and DJing in my spare time.

In working with startups for the past few years now, I have seen the directness and strategic approach that an idea needs to have to be successful. It is amazing to see what Resonate has been able to accomplish so far, and I am hoping to use my own entrepreneurial experience and skills to help Resonate continue to accomplish its goals, and grow as a platform!

As mentioned before, I feel there is a wonderful opportunity here for change within the music industry (and the entire creative industry - my ultimate goal), and I want to make sure that Resonate is able to build off of this momentum and create something great!

Thanks, and I look forward to getting to work!
ā€“ Sam Martyn

12 Likes

Hi everyone!

My name is Jake and I release music under the name DEADPAN. I rap (freestyle and written) and produce.

I started as a freestyle rapper in college about 4 years ago, and have been recording and releasing music for a little over two years. I mainly make lo-fi and abstract hip-hop, but appreciate and engage in all sub-genres of hip-hop. I spent time in college in labor organizing, and working-class power greatly informs my art and life. Thatā€™s initially what got me really excited about this platform, as I see it as a means for musicians to gain increased ownership over their work.

I love collaborating and just community-building in general, and am looking forward to getting to know you all. I just recently graduated college, and am now based in NYC.

Keep in touch on social media! Iā€™m @deadpanpr everywhere.

Peace, power, and safety, everyone.

DEADPAN :black_heart:

10 Likes