Interesting press & further reading

3 Likes
1 Like

I won’t share this on resonate thanks to the 3 abusers on vocal duty on one of the albums in question, but it’s an interesting thread for us.

Excellent piece there! Thanks. ‘Faux ops’ and ‘solidarity theatre’ need to be called out.

Far better for a co-op to have a more transparent and public partnership with a b-corp or similar. Be clear about what is being traded and get the permission of members.

Best of all for co-ops to build solidarity in mutual exchange and support of each other. Again, with mutual permission.

Interesting conversation about playlists and digital music consumption from person who did all the psy-ops research at places like spotify and soundcloud. now making his own music community “marine snow” - i was approached by them for my artists.

https://interdependence.fm/episodes/human-music-curation-non-binary-thinking-bundles-scarcity-and-participation-with-tony-lashley-marine-snow

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

" Culture as creative refusal." Damn Graeber had such a knack for striking formulas.

3 Likes

Forbes allowing Ek to gloss over his recent move into creating smart battlefield maps with this new piece on how he’s planning to monopolise audio.

awesome.

1 Like

Just wanted to shout out to an old guy

and underscore his appeal to do identity right and not forget the basics, whatever technology we use.

Let’s keep up the fight, and do this right, for Resonate, and for other co-operatives.

2 Likes

Latest of the “we can’t trust private owned platforms” usual crap, this one is quite a cautionary tale.

This is in my view exactly why I believe in Resonate being a coop, and people having a voice, and things being done out in the open rather than… like that.

1 Like

Case for a new form of streaming royalties paid directly to artists.

1 Like

Really interesting thinker. INDIGENOUS AI — POSITION PAPER

Anyone interested in the topic of cybernetics and the ‘ethical architecture’ of digital spaces and communities might be interested in this paper (and the long traditions of ‘systemic design’ and ‘ethics’ from which it comes).

Ever wonder how the ‘tech bros’ gave the world platform capitalism, social media… and a digital shanty town rife with crime, racist bias and worker exploitation? The tech bros would probably answer ‘unintended consequences’. The Venture Caps would see the mess as a further opportunity for profit.

I’d like to think there is a new generation of folks who care about the digital (and physical) spaces they inhabit would think more carefully about the consequences of the tools they deploy… doing the ethical thinking about consequences up front, and then building some feedback into the design…

There are communities out there we can learn from

1 Like

Essential reading for all those of us concerned with levelling the playing field, nurturing new talent, aiding music discovery etc.

@LLK @richjensen @sganesh i think these feeds into conversations we’ve had/are having

3 Likes

That’s a bizarre situation, no? The people whose livelihood depends on discovering new musical talent face legal risks if they take their job seriously. And that’s only one of the deleterious results of the music industry’s over-reliance on lawyers and litigation—a hardass approach they once hoped would cure all their problems, but now does more harm than good. Everybody suffers in this litigious environment, except for the partners at the entertainment law firms, who enjoy the abundant fruits of all these lawsuits and legal threats.

Can’t stress this enough— American entertainment litigation is a small enough field as it is, and the advice both in schools and afterword skews so corporate that it’s actively discouraged to approach the field outside of aiming to go in-house at one of the big 3 or work at a firm that represents one of them.

Not to mention the sheer amount of money put into government/policy lobbying stacked against artists/songwriters, adjacent to and often in hand with major DSPs and big tech …

3 Likes
This site is the official community for Resonate, a streaming music cooperative owned by the people who use it -- artists, labels, listeners and builders.