Community Team [archive]

Second KPI from:

Of artists / labels that have made it past the credit card fee threshold in the past 4 weeks, what can be done to get them to 50 euros (per month or per year) ?

edit: I mean, what would it take to get them to 50 euros? If we had to move mountains, have a call with them to coordinate a marketing campaign, or stand in the streetcorner signing people up and pressing the play button for them, what would it take?

3 Likes

I can not emphasize how much I agree with this statement and the underlying suggestion.

I don’t have much to add, I’m still digesting on @thehouseorgan 's great post and I really appreciate the direction the discussion is taking.

I’m sad I won’t be able to attend the team call (3am>4am is just a little too complicated for me) but yes, these are very crucial discussions.

3 Likes

@community Hey guys, here we go!

September 15

Kick-off call for the community team attended by @community + @datafruits. Thanks everyone for coming. I think we made a great start :slight_smile: RSVP for the next one if you can make it, and no stress if you can’t.

Initial agenda

Focusing on the start of the user funnel for the community, and the diversity of the community

• What pages on the website should feature community content to demonstrate what is being discussed. @Hakanto will consider this in the context of the new website design and propose updates to that. @boopboop and @angus will implement the design by embedding the various resources from the community in the hugo site.

• We want to think about the diversity of the community from the beginning and all throughout our work. @brndnkng will start us off in that respect by looking at with

• A list of strategies we can use to collect data on the current diversity of resonate as a cooperative and community, i.e. method and scope.
    • A list of identity variables we’ll use to measure the diversity of the community and a rationale for the list, e.g. ethnicity, gender, geographic and linguistic.

How we’ll work async

For our async work we can use the #platform:community category. Each individual task we work on as part of this work will probably deserve it’s own topic in the category, for example @Hakanto will a new one to discuss how we’re going to insert the community into the website which @boopboop and I will follow up on. @brndnkng, if you could make a new topic in the category with your initial thoughts on your task and we’ll use that to develop the plan, and the execution of the plan.

edit I’ve updated the OP to reflect what this team is doing in a short descriptive way: Community Team

3 Likes

@Hakanto I know this was not my assigned bullet point but an (not 100% forum related) easy win imo is to fix / update the tags for the Spanish language music. Is this easy to do? (Not coming up with the best tags, but rather fixing the tag).

Case in point, this is tagged #gospel

It makes it a lot easier to discuss Spanish language music if it’s easy to find. We can’t use country as a proxy since people everywhere sing in English and the US has tons of Spanish-language musicians, for example.

edit: OR have a “language” field at the track or album level so it leaves the tags alone but we have some way of tracking the language.

2 Likes

@community Hey guys, looking forward to our next chat tomorrow. Just making sure you’ve seen @brndnkng’s great work here

We’ll be discussing that first, followed by a follow up on this

And we might get to a discussion and maybe some practical tweaks on how we’re using and highlighting user groups here on the forum.

See you tomorrow (well tomorrow for me at least) :slight_smile:

1 Like

@community hey all, here’s a room for our call

September 22

@community Great call all! Here’s what we discussed

Diversity and Inclusion Survey

This week @brndnkng will build on the survey draft, with the following

• Finalising the list of questions (incl phrasing and list of options for each)

• We’ll include a question about ability/disability
    • We’ll include a question about whether the person is from a rural or urban area
    • We’ll include supplementary question for each question about how important the identity or affiliation is for the person
  • A paragraph-long introduction to the survey describing what it is and why we’re doing it

@Hakanto will finalise 2 to 5 questions about the person’s relationship with Resonate, which will be included at the start of the survey.

I’ll have a look at the mechanics of the survey, starting with talking with @melis_tailored:

• We’d like to send this survey to all folks with a resonate account. What kind of mailing lists do we currently have?
  • Would it be possible for us to send this survey to a mailing list via Mailchimp?

Website community embeds

@Hakanto will come to a landing on what community topics we’re going to embed on the new website, specifically

Homepage

• Topic from the music category
    • Videogame music
  • Topic from the co-op category
  • Topic from the platform category

Co-op page

• Co-op category
  • A topic the co-op category’
  • A topic from the platform category

Stream to own

• 1 topics from the music category (?)

Once he’s decided on a what topics we want to embed, we’ll then ask @Timothee to assist in how best to insert them into the current design. @boopboop and I will do the actual implementation.

Featured Playlist Competition

We’re going to run a competition to select a user playlist to feature in the player here on the community. @boopboop will be looking at the structure and mechanics of the competition.

• Where we’ll run it and how folks can participate
  • The length of the competition
  • How we’ll select a winner
  • How we let people know about the competition. Perhaps we can include something in an email distro (@melis_tailored ?)
  • How we feature the winning playlist in the player: most likely in the discover section, with a link back to the winning entry in the community.

p.s. @boopboop we’re all looking forward to a picture of that hermit crab, the fifth member on our call :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

[Technical aside: I can’t undo my like. Does the option to unlike a like expire?]

Update. No… the functionality of like-reversal isn’t time based. It seems to be an immediate condition that is isolated to this thread. I suspect a parameter setting.

I’d rate this setting as ‘sub-optimal’: diminishes user’s control of their voice.

not a hermit crab after all!

4 Likes

@community doing a trial run of a wiki poll app

Please check it out here - All Our Ideas - Bringing survey research into the digital age

1 Like

Nice! However I think we should try using the native discourse polling here. Here’s where you can access it.

Screenshot at Sep 24 11-20-52

Building the ballot is the issue though, the poll assumes the items are already decided.

Doing a wiki post could be a solution but there’s the paranoia someone accidentally deletes someone else’s submission. A thread is also an option?

Thread is good. Also our old wordpress gravity forms toolkit is a good and easy way to build dynamic web forms.

See this for example:

1 Like

@community giving an update that i won’t be on this week’s call. i have a friday deadline i must meet and don’t have the bandwidth to do that and finish my homework for our team tbh.

def down to pick things back up next week, and completely open to others stepping in/pick-up where i left off on the Mapping Diversity Survey

from my notes from our last call, we need another paragraph explaining why we’re doing it as well as flushing out the survey questions a bit more to be more inclusive. if anyone else is down with taking a stab at it, that’d be love.

if not, we’ll just pick things back up re: mapping diversity survey in a week or so

'preciate y’all

@Hakanto @boopboop @angus

4 Likes

18 posts were split to a new topic: Playlist Competition(?) Development

Alright, short question – long answer.

In the context of the player and co-op, I advise for clarity that we refer to folks who create playlists and curate as simply “listeners”. Creating playlists and other potential curatorial activities will be features of listener accounts, or could be reserved to Listener-Members. But terms like “selector” imply a different role.

In terms of multiple nicknames for accounts, I’m still learning about the user API so there may be misunderstandings below. Here’s my current interpretation; tread lightly.

In the future, a Resonate account will be able to create and manage multiple personas. Personas have unique usernames. Personas can be managed by one or multiple accounts. Examples: an artist could allow a persona they’ve created to also be managed by their label. A persona representing a band could be managed by all of the band members, each through their own accounts.

The main way that personas manifest practically is as a page/profile on the player. If multiple accounts controlled the same persona, they would all be able to upload to a shared artist page, edit it, etc.

I’m not sure if these same principles apply to listener pages, and that’s where this starts getting weird. On the player, a listener page displays playlists made by that listener. The URL for this page is linked to the listener’s username, so anonymity would require a workaround for the playlist to be accessible.

At this point, page and user management happens on the Dashboard (which has the music uploader, artist earnings, stats, etc) and the ID server (which manages profiles, editing accounts, uploading profile pics, etc). The priority there is to make the Dashboard useful for artists’ needs. Listeners technically can log into the Dashboard, but don’t have much to do there.

SO ANYWAY, multiple nicknames,

• VIA DASHBOARD - First, we’d reach a point where an account can switch between artist personas while using the Dashboard.

• VIA PLAYER - Switching personas on the player seems a lot more complicated. Listeners switching between personas on the player may be possible, but would require UI work or development of a Listener Dashboard. My instinct tells me that listener features ideally be built into the player itself, as it already is the listener dashboard practically speaking.

• VIA FORUM - I imagine implementing this Persona system would require an new and sorta unprecedented Discourse feature. Discourse requires a username to be linked 1:1 with an email address, unlike resonate personas. Maybe there is some feature out there that allows a Discourse account to manage multiple usernames from a single account and to switch between them, but I have no idea how Discourse would handle all the other aspects affected by this (trust levels, badges, groups, etc).

1 Like

Even if this is only a rough rendering it is very helpful, thank you!

I’ll digest and then perhaps have more questions. :pizza: :hibiscus:

1 Like

Minor correction. No, a ‘persona’ belongs to one and only one user = account, typically an email address.

The intention was indeed that listeners, labels and artists could have multiple personas, but at the moment I think we are planning for listeners to have one persona, multiple personas being reserved for artists and labels. That could be changed.

2 Likes