Abandon "credits" artifical metric for simple currency credits

If you have 2 credits, you have $0,001956947

On the player, it will be displayed as 0.0020

1 Like

Peter should be better at explaining this than me. @peter

1 Like

Sorry. Didn’t put my poetry hat on yet this morning. :grin:

Credits might be shared as verifiable credentials.

2 Likes

I think I have an explanation which can tie things together.

Most wouldn’t know, but the way credits are represented changes depending on who’s dealing with them.

It’s as if the code/accounting side were using millimeters but the listener/player side displays in meters.

The decimal point is moved when representing credits on the listener/player side so that numbers more closely correlate to dollars/euros.

1022 → 1.022

We don’t want decimals on the code/accounting side, so “millicredits” are a more dependable tracking system.

The confusion is that in both use-cases these are referred to as simply credits.

4 Likes

We display prices in euros in our own site. We could easily put text up for an approximate conversion, but it is the card issuer, and their fx commission that determines what is actually paid.

The new stripe hosted checkout won’t make much of a difference, but it will at least be a more standard-looking checkout process.

We could set up Stripe to do the conversion at their day rate when customers present in non Euro currency, but I suspect that would be expensive for them and for us.

The truly international option is to support different settlement currencies, but that requires that bank accounts are opened for each.

That’s beyond our capabilities right now.

3 Likes

This broke my heart a little bit :sob:, I was hopeful this proposal would go very differently haha

1 Like

Is there still nothing that can relatively simply be done on the ‘representational layer’ (is that the correct term), whereby everything still use credits but I can see my credit balance in my preferred currency.

Like a UX selector where I can choose between, for example: Credits, USD, GBP, EUR.

The credits are always 100% accurate (noting above comments about decimal points) and those that want to track credits can, whereas currencies are tracked across an internally set stable exchange rate, no fluctuations, just something reasonable and sensible until such a time as that exchange rate is too way off to be usable at which point it is tinkered with. Maybe it gets reviewed every month or two.

I’m not talking anything deceitful but a little ‘?’ link about currencies spells out that Resonate accounts in credits and the currency display is an approximation to help you track your spending.

1 Like

Yes of course! We just keep an approximate fx rate and do it at display time…

…but in the small print we explain this isn’t redeemable or exchangeable and subject to fx fluctuations and so on

2 Likes

This might be less of an issue if the interface didn’t show how many credits you have (to four decimal places even!) so often. Certainly on the “top up” screen it should show exactly what your current credit balance is, but perhaps everywhere else, the app could just show a color indicator & status description. Green/“OK” is >10 credits, yellow/“low” is 1-10 credits, red/“top up!” is <1 credit. That’s all I’d need to see for a lot of use cases, and it removes the need to think about currency or precise numbers entirely.

6 Likes

Oooo love the idea of representing it more symbolically than literally, especially when you’re simply looking for a sense of the amount.

Only showing two decimal places is a good quick fix.

3 Likes

I agree the colour coding is a nice touch but I still really want to see a cash-money balance.

2 Likes

I just read this very interesting thread.
I personally am not bothered by the “credits” approach. Once I spent money my money is gone, to me I clearly do not own money anymore, but “something else”, and credits sounds good to me to describe this, which gives me the right to listen to music.

But I just wanted to quickly react to this just to raise a warning (in my opinion) :

I might be considered as too much “rational” by many, but clearly the first thing I tried to understand when discovering Resonate was “how the math works here ? how much credit do I consume when listening the first time ? the second time ?” etc.

And I can understand that some might not care about this and are ok to use the service without thinking about it.
But I think that if you don’t allow full transparency on this for those interested, then it’s harder to gain trust from them.

I think it’s a quite classic and not easy problem : how to simplify the system so that most users (even those not making much effort) easily familiarize with it, without obfuscating how it work ?

4 Likes

That’s what the credit system reminded me of (and not in a positive way) when I first joined the site. I would prefer currency credits as well. However, after skimming through this thread I realize that there are some problems on the implementation site associated with this approach. So I do understand if those prove to be too much of a hurdle.

1 Like